Latest posts by BMA Magazine (see all)
- Fisherman’s Friends — Mini British Film Festival 2019 — Palace Cinemas — October–November 2019 - November 19, 2019
- Lorenzo Iannotti’s ‘Lay With Me’ contains driving piano, background chants, and a curious Springsteen-like feel - November 19, 2019
- Military Wives — Mini British Film Festival 2019 — Palace Cinemas — October–November 2019 - November 17, 2019
This Friday Enlighten Festival is shining a spotlight on Canberra’s talented film-makers with competition sparking creativity for Lights! Canberra! Action!’s 15th year.
For this free event, filmmakers are given a list of ten items to include in their movie, with only ten days to shoot, edit and produce a 7 minute film exploring the theme of ‘a small step’.
This year, intrepid filmmakers must deftly weave the following items into their slice of moon-themed celluoid magic:
1. The Moon
2. ‘Young Eagle’ by Qian Jian Hua, Bunda St at Garema Place
3. A Flag
4. The Moon Rock at Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex at Tidbinbilla
5. A Rainbow
6. ‘Alfred Deakin: A Life in 3 Phases’ by Martin Moore at Deakin Shops
7. A Step
8. Captain Cook Memorial Globe at Regatta Point
9. A Rocket
10. The John Gorton Building (exterior), King Edward Terrace
The lunar theme has been chosen to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, which the Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station, just south of Canberra and as seen in Working Dog Aussie classic The Dish, helped televise to the world.
The screening of the top 12 finalists will again take place outdoors in the Senate Rose Gardens at the Museum of Australian Democracy, with the awards winners announced immediately after the screening.
The screening order is as follows:
AJ. Producers: Kaitlyn Boyé and Janelle McMenamin , Director/Writer: Kaitlyn Boyé
MOONSHINE. Producer, Director: Isack Hoppitt, Writers: Isack Hoppitt and Bradley J McDowell
MOON CHILD. Producers: Sam Martyniak and Stephanie Jewell, Director: Sam Martyniak, Writer: Stephanie Jewell
REUNION. Producers, Writers: Adrian Muscat and Tina Costessi Director: Adrian Muscat
THE MAN IN THE MOON. Producers: Dan Sanguineti & Masoud Varjavandi, Director: Dan Sanguineti, Writers: Russell Lee, Dan Sanguineti & Masoud Varjavandi
BATTERED. Producers: Madeline Woldhuis and Jess Docherty, Directors: Caitlin Harris and Samantha Bruce, Writers: Jess Docherty, Madeline Woldhuis and Caitlin Harris
ELECTRIC CHAINSAW. Producers: Callum Lawrence and James Halloran, Director, Writer: Callum Lawrence
AKA HARVEY NORMAN. Producers, Directors, Writers: Craig Alexander & Nick Stannard
SOMEBODY ELSE’S COUNTRY. Producers: Philip Meddows, Aaron King and Craig Wilson, Director, Writer: Philip Meddows
BEGGING FOR IT. Producer, Director, Writer: Ashlee Kate Robertson
CLOSE CALL. Producer, Director, Writer: Lockie McLennan
MISSION CONTROL Z. Producer, Director, Writer: Max Jasinksi
So bring your chair, bean bag or blanket and settle in for a great night of film viewing. Picnics are welcome and foodies will be on site dishing up movie snacks and delicious dinners.
Date: Friday 8 March
Times: Live music from 7pm, Films screened from 8pm
Location: Senate Rose Gardens, Museum of Australian Democracy