Latest posts by BMA Magazine (see all)
- [Gig Review] Karnivool, Southeast Desert Metal – Saturday, 1 June 2019 – Kambri, ANU - June 16, 2019
- [Album Review] Clarity of Chaos – Self-titled - June 15, 2019
- [Film Column] Godzilla Remains A Political Monster - June 7, 2019
Are you secretly miffed that your triple j Unearthed profile hasn’t landed you a spot on the Splendour lineup yet? It’s okay, I am too.
But hey, that doesn’t mean you don’t deserve the opportunity to strut your stuff on a big festival stage. Our friends at Googfest feel the same way.
That’s why they’re on the hunt for talented locals to join the bill for Googfest 2018. While the headline act is yet to be announced, organisers are focusing on the musical stars right under their noses (that’s you!).
“Canberra has a thriving music scene,” says Googong Project Director, Malcolm Leslie. “But young performers rarely get to play for a crowd of this size, or to experience everything that goes into a big outdoor production, like
professional lighting and sound.”
“This year we are giving everyone the chance to put up their hand to be part of Googfest – whether they are solo performers or bigger bands.”
There are a handful of slots up for grabs, and if you want your garage band/acoustic solo act/synth pop project/hip-hop collective to be in the running, there are a few simple steps you need to follow…
1. Record a track. If you’re already all over the whole recorded music thing, proceed to step 2. If not, get out your 4-track or your Mum’s iPad and lay something down. Whatever it takes to get your message across.
2. Send your details to email@example.com. Don’t forget to include a short profile introducing yourself and your act (one half page max), 100 words about why you want to be part of Googfest, your daytime phone number and (most importantly) a link to at least one of your tracks.
3. Be available on Saturday February 3 (hint: that’s the date for Googfest 2018).
Got it? Now go get it. Nominations close at midnight on Sunday December 17 – no late entries!
In past years, Googfest has featured the likes of Lucy Sugerman, Slow Turismo, Dami Im, Young Monks and Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers.